What’s the difference?
When Gel batteries were introduced into the industry, they were roughly 4 times the cost of a lead acid battery. As higher volumes were produced for the Gel batteries, they rapidly reduced in price and increased in quality.
Today, a gel battery will cost roughly 30% more than that of a wet lead acid battery with none of the headaches, maintenance, or charging issues. As a result, gel batteries are now more commonly used in floor scrubbers and floor sweepers. However, gel batteries are beginning to be phased out and replaced with Lithium. You can learn about some of this exciting technology in our blog One Battery to Run Them All.
A common question asked is what are the main differences between these batteries so to help you out, below highlights the key advantages and disadvantages of Gel and Lead batteries.
- Maintenance free
- Classified as non-hazardous goods for air, rail & road transportation
- Extremely low self-discharge rate
- No gassing
- Withstand a wide range of temperatures
- Withstand shock & vibration better than any other battery
- No terminal corrosion
- MSDS sheets not required
- Can be installed near sensitive electronic equipment
- Excellent deep cycle performance
- More expensive than lead acid
- Sensitive to overcharging (although this is not an issue with a correctly specified SMART charger)
Flooded Lead Acid
- Relatively inexpensive
- Widely available
- Good size to capacity ratio
- Good deep cycle performance
- Require strict maintenance
- Require ventilated rooms for recharging
- Suffer from terminal corrosion
- can leak is casing is cracked causing hazardous spill
- Require rubber gloves & goggles when maintaining
- Vent substantial quantities on hydrogen & oxygen gasses as well as other toxins
- Will quickly sulphate if left discharged for any period of time
- Are easily damaged if over-charged
- Have high self-discharge rate
- Are classified as hazardous goods for transportation
Products in the Proquip range that use Gel batteries are floor scrubber machines, floor sweepers, carpet cleaning machines and battery burnisher machines.
The Gel batteries in our Floor Scrubber range are being phased out and replaced with NX1K Lithium Phosphate. Learn more about this incredible new battery technology here
Still unsure? Call Proquip NZ on 0800 277 678 to discuss your commercial and industrial cleaning equipment requirements with our team.